Window Care & Maintenance Tips | Admiral Construction
Well-maintained windows are critical to protecting your Memphis home. That’s why it is important to keep your windows in top shape with the best window maintenance services you can afford. Windows let the fresh air and sunlight in the rooms while guarding your home against water, pollen, dust, extreme temperatures, and debris at the same time.
Our experts here at Kreunen construction have put together this handy checklist of important window maintenance tasks to help you keep your windows in tip-top condition, all year round. Let’s get started.
General Window Maintenance guide
From time to time, you have to perform some general window maintenance tasks. Some of the most prominent ones are as follows:
How to Clean the Windows?
Due to constant exposure to the elements, your windows can get dirty, just like any other part of your home. The dirt and dust can accumulate on the surface, and if not cleaned in time, it can deteriorate the material and become the breeding ground for microbes. So, always make sure to clean your windows properly and regularly.
You can use a soft cloth, non-abrasive cleaner, towels, and liquid dish detergent for this purpose.
- Glass Panes– Regardless of how expensive your windows are, the glass panes will gather dust over time. This, in turn, can ruin the value of your entire home significantly. Clean the window panes with a soft cloth or paper towel, along with a non-abrasive cleaner, and then wipe the windows thoroughly both inside and out.
- Seals, Casings, & caulking- The glass in the windows is held in place by casing and caulking. Casings are also used to give your windows a finishing and decorative touch. It is important to clean the casings and seals with proper care. However, never use abrasive materials to clean these parts.
- Sashes- These parts of the window enable it to move vertically (up and down) and also hold the panes together. Use gentle, non-abrasive cleaners to get rid of all the dirt and grime from these parts. You may use a soft scrubbing brush or an old toothbrush for this purpose. Dry out these areas using a paper towel or cloth.
- Tracks And Screens- The tracks run along the side and bottom of the windows. These are highly susceptible to debris and dirt build-up. You may use an all-purpose cleaner or a solution of white vinegar and baking soda to clean the tracks. A toothbrush can also be used to get rid of dirt and grime on the window tracks.
The screens also gather dirt, grime, pollen, and dust, rather fast. To remove dirt build-up from your screen, take out all the screens and put them on a flat surface. Then, clean them with a gentle, all-purpose cleaner. Keep wiping each screen with a paper towel or cloth until you are satisfied with the results. You may also use a small vacuum cleaner to get rid of the dust.
How to Inspect Your Windows for Damages and Repair Needs?
Your windows constantly get exposed to harsh sunlight and strong winds. They are also subjected to rain, snowfall, and other damaging weather conditions. So, you need to check your windows at regular intervals for any potential issues. Let’s take a look at a few important things you should look out for while inspecting each part of your windows:
- Inspecting Glass Panes
If you’ve double or triple-paned windows, look out for the signs of moisture damage. In most cases, homeowners face issues like condensation or moisture between the glass panes. This usually results from broken seals around the windows. Make sure to inspect your window glass panes for any broken seals on a regular basis.
- Inspecting Screens
Holes, tears, and rips can allow moisture, dirt, and bugs in your home. Timely inspections and replacement of window panes can keep your home free from such unpleasant things.
- Inspecting Hardware and Moving Parts
The window hardware, especially the moving parts, may develop rust over time or start malfunctioning after prolonged usage. This is something you have to check periodically if you want to keep your windows performing optimally and like to extend their lifespan.
- Inspecting Seals, casing, and caulking
Seals, casing, and caulking are the barriers that protect your home from harsh environmental conditions. They also help in maintaining optimum energy efficiency and comfort in your home. Keep an eye out for cracks or gaps in these parts, especially at the connecting points, to ensure that all the seals are well intact.
Specialized Window Care
Based on where you live and the type of climate your home experiences, you may have to take extra care of your windows.
- If you live in a region that witnesses heavy storms on a regular basis, choose storm-resistant glass panes for your windows.
- If you spend most of your time out of the house and there is no one to look after your belongings, it would be a good idea to install high-quality locks at the windows.
- Get rid of the humidity. When the warm air inside your home comes in contact with the cold air outside of the window panes, it can result in condensation. An easy solution to this problem is to open your windows briefly now and then so that the excess humidity can escape naturally. A dehumidifier is also a good investment to get rid of humidity and condensation from your home.
Get in Touch
When you have trusted experts at your disposal, you won’t have to worry about the quality of window maintenance services. For the best results, you need the services of experienced professionals specialized in performing such tasks. Admiral Roofing offers top quality window maintenance services that will keep your windows in the best shape for years to come. Visit us or contact us at 901-245-6957 to learn more about our services and to get a free estimate.