Window Design 101
Learn window design 101 and how high-quality and efficient windows increase your Memphis home’s value and can make you save money. But, every element of them should be working optimally to obtain these benefits. That’s why replacement windows are always a good investment.
Thus, here you’ll see some good reasons to replace your home windows.
The Power of Window Aesthetics
Windows are a powerful aesthetic element. For example, something as simple as changing the window opening can mean a significant change in your home’s looking.
Therefore, by only replacing your old windows with brand new stylish options, you can make a significant design statement.
The good news is that replacement windows are available in a wide range of styles. So, they can complement and even modernize your current architectural design, no matter what it is.
In this sense, here’s what you should know to choose a new set of windows with style and functionality.
First, Check the Basics of Windows
The first you must have clear is the practical requirements your new windows must meet.
In this respect, Better Homes and Gardens, affirms:
“Select windows that satisfy your light, ventilation, and privacy needs. Review how different styles open and close, and if they tilt for easy cleaning.”
Besides, remind what the experts suggest when replacing windows in your home. The new windows should have a similar size, shape, and style to the old ones to avoid excessive labor costs.
Types of Windows Available in the Market
Before paying for a new set of windows, you should familiarize yourself with the basic window types and their parts.
- Double Hung – This type of window has two sashes that move up and down. They allow keeping open half of the window at a time.
- Casement – Casement windows have vertical hinges and handles to open and close like a door.
- Awning – They are similar to casement windows but their hinges are horizontal. They look like an awning while opened.
- Hopper – Hoppers open in a contrary way to awning windows since their hinges are at the bottom of the sash.
- Slider – They move through their top and bottom tracks, opening on one half. Also, they have a vertical meeting rail.
- Bow and Bay – These windows “bow” out forming a “bay” in the room. They are large and project outward from an outside wall.
- Picture – Picture windows are large. Besides, they do not open and have only one piece of glass.
- Garden – They also project outward from a wall but are smaller than bay windows. Their purpose is to capture sunlight.
Which Design is Right for your Home?
At this point, you already defined the practical needs you assessed, the current window’s size, and know the variety of the existing windows. Then, it is the moment to choose the right window style for your home.
You’ll need to do a little research. Home décor magazines and social media sites like Pinterest will be useful. Additionally, you can look around neighborhoods looking for styles that fit your home.
Besides, an experienced contractor can help you narrow down your options.
Letting in the Light
A window replacement is the best chance to increase the amount of natural light that gets into your home. To do so, reducing the number of window frames is a good idea.
“The rule of thumb is the more glass the lighter,” says Roger McMullen, owner of Admiral Roofing.
If you have fewer windows or smaller windows and want to increase the light, you may want to avoid window grids and reduce the number of panes in the windows.
Currently, manufacturers can custom color windows according to your preferences. “Black is now a very popular color. The look is stunning,” says Matthew.
*Note: Custom colors at Admiral Custom Roofing are not available inside. White, tan, and wood grains only.
Another trend is to have a wooden look in a more durable material. So, window frames are available in wood grain interior and add sophistication to the room.
Thinking of Replacing Your Windows?
Are you looking for new windows?
Call Admiral Custom Roofing at 901-245-6957 or solicit windows estimate online. Set up a free evaluation to learn how new windows can beautify your home.